Costs and Expenses
This section gives an estimate of the costs and expenses a full-time student without financial aid should expect throughout the duration of his/her study program.
AIT offers financial aid for the Doctoral and Master’s degree programs, on a competitive basis, to applicants who are outstandingly qualified and to applicants who have strong academic backgrounds and proven financial need.
Tuition and Fees
Students in full-time attendance pay a registration fee of Baht 20,000 per semester and a tuition fee of Baht 16,000 per credit. A dollar rate, which is set every semester, is given in the table below.
The tuition fees are based on the following minimum credit requirements and number of semesters: Doctoral (84 credits/6 semesters), Master’s (48 credits/4semesters), Diploma (24credits/2 semesters), and Certificate (9-12 credits/1 semester).
If the academic program is not completed within the prescribed duration, the registration fee of Baht 20,000 per semester is to be paid for each semester of extension.
The School provides a moderate amount of research budget for each student. Depending on the nature of the Thesis/Research, students may need to source supplemental funding.
All students are encouraged to reside on or near the Institute’s campus to benefit from the international environment for intellectual development and personal growth. The estimated living expense is 11,500 – 15,000 Baht per month.
Other Campus Fees
- Medical Insurance: There is an annual premium for standard insurance plan which covers certain costs of hospitalization, outpatient treatment, dental and personal accident but not major medical expenses. Baht 1,090 is the initial premium for the August semester Intake (for 5 months), to be renewed in January semester of the following year; for students studying in January and August semesters, the annual premium is Baht 2,599; for students graduating in May or during the inter-semester, the final premium is Baht 1,509 for standard insurance plan. Students who have other existing medical plans can submit awaiver request and show proof of insurance before the start of the premium year.
- Visa Extension: Baht 1,900 per year of educational visa extension
- Student Union Fee: Baht 150 per semester as contribution to the Student Union and Student Welfare Fund. Please pay to the Cashier’s AIT Finance Department.
Estimating your Costs and Expenses
|Thai Baht||Thai Baht||Thai Baht||Thai Baht|
|Registration Fee @Baht 20,000 per Semester||120,000||80,000||40,000||20,000|
|Tuition Fee @ Baht 16,000 per Credit||1,344,000||768,000||384,000||192,000|
|Total Tuition & Fees||1,464,000||848,000||424,000||208,000|
|*Living /Accommodation/Miscellaneous Expenses @ 11,500 - 15,000 Baht per month||414,000 - 540,000||253,000 - 330,000||138,000 - 180,000||57,500 - 75,000|
- Students who will undertake large-scale cost-intensive research should secure supplementary funding from non-AIT sources ; for Doctoral program (Baht 60,000) and Master program (Baht 40.000)
- Tuition and fees are charged per semester and fixed in Thai currency (Baht). However, for convenience, students may also pay in US Dollars at a rate that is quoted in advance for each semester and valid for one month.
- If you are traveling from outside Thailand, you need to add airfares, visa fees and related costs to your budget. Please add a reasonable amount for possible price fluctuations.
Fees are regularly reviewed . Approved changes become effective on the date stipulated.
Tuition and fees are payable on a semester basis prior to registration. Payments may be made in Thai Baht or US Dollars.
|Thai Baht Account||Siam Commercial Bank, AIT Branch |
Current A/C # 359 3 00001 2
|US Dollar Account||Citibank NA |
Current A/C # 10255664
Payment in Baht
Students may deposit the payment at Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) AIT Branch, or through ATM transfer from payee’s account to AIT’s bank account in SCB. After payment, kindly present the bank deposit/ATM slip with details (name, student ID and purpose of payment) to the Cashier for issuance of official receipt.
Payment in US Dollars
Students may present the bank transfer slips (to Citibank NA Account), cash, cheques or bank drafts directly to the Cashier for issuance of the official receipt.
Payment of Student Accommodation
Students are requested to deposit payments for accommodation at the Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) AIT Branch or through ATM transfer from payee’s account to AIT’s bank account in SCB. After depositing the rent, please present the bank deposit/ATM slip with the details (name, student ID and purpose of payment) and invoices to the Cashier for issuance of official receipt.
Penalty for Late Payment
Students are encouraged to settle all payments by the due date in order to avoid interest penalties.
If fees remained unpaid:
- Thirty (30) days after the deadline for adding/dropping of courses, interest penalty of 1.5% per month will be imposed.
- If fees remain unpaid before the start of the succeeding semester, viewing of grades, transcripts and registration for the current semester will be disallowed and student’s status shall be ‘suspended due to financial liability’. Interest penalty of 1.5% per month will apply on fees that remain unpaid.
- If the fees remain unpaid at the end of two consecutive semesters including the semester in which he/she was suspended due to financial liability, the student shall be recommended for dismissal.
All study costs at AIT are subject to this interest charge.
Useful contacts in Finance:
The Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) reserves the right at any time to change or modify any aspect of information in this primer whenever, in its judgement, it becomes necessary or advisable to do so. As a result of the on-going process of consultations on the Institute academic reform, there may be changes in academic fees and other fees over time, which will become effective on the date stipulated.